Random things I know to be true ...
1. Family is the most important gift you will ever be given. Treasure your family. If deeds or words separate you, make amends ... BEFORE it's too late. Otherwise, you WILL have regrets.
2. You can get by on charm for about 10 minutes, but after that, you had better know something.
3. It's not what happens to people that's important. It is what they do about it. You can choose to be victim or a conqueror. Either you control your attitude or it controls you. Our background and circumstances may have influence on who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
4. Free will is the most crucial characteristic God created in us; it can be either a blessing or a curse, and ultimately will determine our eternal course. We must use it wisely.
5. Money and material possessions are a lousy way of:
a) keeping score,
b) determining one’s true value, and
c) validating cause for respect and admiration.
6. The easiest way to grow as a person is to surround yourself with people smarter than you are, and to read good books.
7. Keep your words both soft and tender, because tomorrow you may have to eat them.
8. Everything happens for a reason. We may not see it right away, but in time we will come to realize that it was for the best. Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. The course of our lives is like a huge tapestry. But we can only see with our human eyes the back side, with its gnarled threads and knots and mish-mash of patterns and colors. In heaven, God will turn over our life’s tapestry and it will be a beautiful work of art, and then we will understand … from “the other side.”
9. Know when to be serious, but remember to have fun, too.
10. Life, happiness, and love is all about balance. Good things, as well as bad, can often be double-edged swords.
11. Life and attitude is all about perspective. Everything is relevant. When you think you’ve got it rough, think about visiting a children’s trauma unit … or staying in a third world country for awhile.
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses. ~Alphonse Karr
12. Never forget where you came from. Your family, friends, and teachers helped get you where you are now. Take the time to let them know how.
13. Don't care too much what other people think of you. Try not to compare yourself to others – most of ‘em are more screwed up than you think.
14. The only way to experience every emotion capable of a human being is to raise a child.
15. Take time to be in touch with your inner child. Stomp in a puddle, build a sand castle, jump into a pile of leaves, and make a snowman.
16. If you can find during the course of your lifetime five people who love you unconditionally AND like you, too … then you are a very blessed person.